Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Quick Link That Is Germane to My Previous Post

Meet the Poster Child for White Privilege -- and Then Have Your Mind Blown
That’s the problem with calling someone out for the “privilege” which you assume has defined their narrative. You don’t know what their struggles have been, what they may have gone through to be where they are. Assuming they’ve benefitted from “power systems” or other conspiratorial imaginary institutions denies them credit for all they’ve done, things of which you may not even conceive. You don’t know whose father died defending your freedom. You don’t know whose mother escaped oppression. You don’t know who conquered their demons, or may still conquering them now.

BOOM. Read the whole thing!

1 comment:

  1. HOO-RAH! This kid will hopefully some day be a politico - he'd make a damned good republican with speeches like that.

    But I think most American families can tell a similar story (if not quite as dramatic as the experience of a Holocaust survivor).

    Our family, for example, is a perfect representation of the American dream as I understand it - that one's children will live better than oneself - that raising a family can be done safely and comfortably if one is willing to work hard.

    Was white privilege handed to our great grandparents who gave up everything, came to America with nothing on their backs to escape plato famines and abject poverty and make a better life in America? When they faced anti-immigrant discrimination the moment they reached Ellis Island? When they started from scratch, working tirelessly on struggling subsistence farms in PA and NJ? When they fought in WWI and died of mustard gas complications?

    Was white privilege handed to my grandfather when he marched for two years through France and Germany, sometimes going months between showers? When he returned home with no skills, no money, and no property? When he worked for 35 years in construction so that he could scrape together enough money to build his own house from scratch with his bare hands? When the hours of hard labor made his hands resemble bird claws? All of this so his kids could go to college prep schools and catholic school. So his son could join the Naval Academy and spend 30% of my childhood at sea?

    I grew up in an upper-middle class home...my parents made sure I went to go schools and taught me the importance of family, of showing your emotions, and of hard work - especially in education.

    They hoped that my kids would live better than I did (and I lived very well).

    I did live a privileged life, but that life was EARNED. By tears of service to country, family and church. By hard work and sacrifice. By values passed from generation to generation.

    I am nowhere near as gifted as this Princeton philosopher...but I'll put it simply. Those of you telling me to check my privilege - FUCK OFF.

    ReplyDelete